IQSS Data Science Services is pleased to assist researchers in the Harvard community working on publication research in overcoming obstacles at every stage of the research process. Publication research is any piece of research whose ultimate outcome is a paper in a peer-review journal.
To receive help, you can either make an appointment for a virtual one-to-one Zoom meeting by requesting a consultation or collaboration below, or you can drop into our weekly virtual office hours on Zoom at 1pm to 2pm (EST) every Wednesday.
NOTICE: OFFICE HOURS ARE NOW SUSPENDED FOR THE SUMMER AND WILL RESTART IN SEPTEMBER. TO REQUEST HELP, PLEASE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT BY REQUESTING A CONSULTATION BELOW.
Please note that office hours are for short questions or problems that should take no longer than 15 minutes to resolve. If your issue is involved, please make an appointment.
We provide short-term support (up to 3 hours per publication) in the form of advice on the following:
- Research project planning: study design and tools
- Research data organization: sharing and secure storage
- Research data processing / cleaning
- Research programming (e.g., R, Python, Stata, SAS, SPSS, Matlab)
- Research code organization (e.g., Git, GitHub)
- Selection and interpretation of statistical methods
- Research data visualization
- Using high performance computing (e.g., RCE, AWS)
Limitations: Please note, we do not provide support for coursework, dual purpose research (i.e., coursework that informs a publication), or consulting research/work.
Acknowledging us: To aid us in tracking the impact of our consulting service, we ask that you include a short acknowledgement in your publications and/or talks. You may wish to amend the following text to reflect the type of support you received (e.g., programming support).
“Statistical support was provided by data science specialist <consultant names>, at the Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University."
Please insert one or more <consultant names> from the following: Jinjie Liu, Steven Worthington. We encourage you to email your publication titles directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can include them in our list of research output.
We provide extended support over the lifecycle of a research project by embedding a data science specialist in your research team. We can design and implement a data analysis pipeline for many stages of your research project, and/or develop a prototype of your research focused software tool. Specifically, we can help with the following:
- Writing reproducible, version controlled code (R, Python, C, C++)
- Data organization and cleaning
- Model estimation and post-estimation
- Visualization of raw data and model output
- Interpretation of results
- Writing methods and results sections of papers
- Responding to peer-reviews of our analyses
- Developing tool prototypes in R / Python
In return for this extended support, we ask for two things:
- Authorship: The data science specialist who performs the work will receive author / developer credit on all resulting research / software output (e.g., publications, talks, posters, documents, software packages).
- Compensation: IQSS will receive compensation for time spent working on the project at a rate of $100 per hour.
Selection Process: We evaluate and select projects for collaboration on a case-by-case basis, based on our available time, our expertise in the area, the feasibility of the project being completed in a reasonable time frame, and our interest in the project.
Limitations: Please note, we cannot collaborate on research projects where the primary output is a sole-authored dissertation / thesis.